Florida Watch is looking for a part time Black Constituency Communications Fellow to report to the Deputy Director for the Florida Watch. The Black Constituency Communications Fellow helps craft culturally conscious messaging to disseminate to Florida media outlets and partner organizations. This is a remote, year long position and will run through 2024.
We are a progressive organization with a digital first lens. The Florida Communications & Research Hub is a partnership between Florida Watch and Progress Florida that provides communications infrastructure for Florida’s progressive organizations and coalitions. The Comms Hub leads innovative campaigns to advance progressive issues and build a better Florida. We are driven by quantitative and qualitative research used to create engaging, authentic, and Florida-specific communications content. We meet people where they are in real life – on their mobile devices and computers.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Experience in policy communications in Florida.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills. The ability to explain and present constituency-specific messaging to the media as well as coalition partners and others in a compelling way that moves people to take action.
- Creative writing and editing skills. People tell you you’re a good writer.
- Nimble and quick thinker with experience working in a rapid response, campaign style environment.
- Demonstrated passion for electing progressive candidates and advancing public interest-driven issues and progressive values and policy solutions.
- Strong organizational and networking skills.
- Detail-oriented, goal-driven, with an affable and professional manner and ability to manage confidential and/or sensitive information.
- Ability to get things done on a tight deadline.
- Creative thinker who can develop detailed plans and execute them without much oversight.
- Work with Deputy Director and other Florida Watch and Progress Florida staff, directly with media and with partner organizations to get our messaging out to Floridians through digital ads, targeted media outlets, and social media channels.
- Assist in turning research (qualitative, quantitative, modeling, etc.) into effective constituency-specific messaging for voter contact and utilization by partner organizations. Work in collaboration with the creative content team to craft effective ads.
- Draft press advisories, press releases, opinion page content, and social media content to promote events and get our message out.
- Assist in production and execution of unique events that garner community attention and generate favorable press coverage.
- Support influencers among constituency groups.
- Cultivate strong relationships with members of the press, constituency group leaders, and statewide partners.
- Collect authentic stories and feedback from the field.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Travel as needed to attend meetings with partner organizations.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a part time position that pays a $3,000 monthly stipend. Please send us your experience and why you are interested in the job (can be a traditional resume & cover letter, or any other written format) to email@example.com. Reference “Black Constituency Communications Fellow” and your name in the subject line.
Florida Watch is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.