Reports to the Florida Watch Executive Director and the Communications Director for the
Florida Communications & Research Hub (Comms Hub). The Communications Director will
help craft culturally competent, research informed messaging, develop and advance an
overall communications narrative and plan for the Comms Hub, advise on digital content, and
work with Florida media outlets.
We are a progressive organization with a digital first lens. The Florida Communications &
Research Hub is a partnership between Florida Watch and Progress Florida that provides
communications infrastructure for Florida’s progressive organizations and coalitions. The
Comms Hub leads innovative campaigns to advance progressive issues, win elections, and
build a better Florida. We are driven by quantitative and qualitative research used to create
engaging, authentic, and Florida-specific communications content. We meet people where
they are in real life – on their mobile devices and computers.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Campaign experience either as a press secretary, communications director, or deputy
• Strong verbal and written communications skills. The ability to explain and present
messaging to the media, coalition partners, and others to get them fired up.
• Creative writing and editing skills. People tell you you’re a good writer.
• Nimble and quick thinker with experience working in a rapid response, campaign style
• Always thinking of ways to elect progressive candidates and methods to advance public
interest driven initiatives.
• Strong organizational and networking skills. Fully plugged into #flapol.
• Detail-oriented, goal-driven, with an affable and professional manner and ability to
manage confidential and/or sensitive information. You can handle yourself.
• Creative thinker who can develop detailed plans and execute them.
• Lives for the hustle.
• Varied and plentiful media diet. You are frequently told to get off your phone.
• Florida experience is a must.
• Work with Hub Communications Director and other Florida Watch and Progress Florida
staff, directly with media, and partner organizations to get our messaging out to
Floridians through digital ads, targeted media outlets, and social media channels.
• Turn research (qualitative, quantitative, modeling, etc.) into effective messaging for
voter contact and utilization by partner organizations. Work in collaboration with the
creative content team to craft effective ads.
• Write press advisories, press releases, opinion page content, and social media content
to promote events and get our message out.
• Produce and execute unique events that garner community attention and generate
favorable press coverage.
•Cultivate strong relationships with members of the press, constituency group leaders,
and statewide partners. Be the ‘go to’ source.
• Collect authentic stories and feedback from the field.
•Other duties as assigned.
• Travel as needed to attend meetings with partner organizations (once deemed safe to
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary for this position is $80,000-$90,000 annually and will be commensurate with
experience. We also offer a 401k with up to a 5% match, health (as well as life and disability)
insurance, flexible work environment, and paid time off. This position is currently remote.
This is a permanent position with retention based on performance in the 2021 – 2022 cycle.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes a cover letter, resume and one
short writing sample. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until we find the right
candidate. Reference “Communications Director” and your name in the subject line.
Florida Watch is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified
persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Women, people of color, those with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community are
strongly urged to apply.